Thursday, April 16, 2009

The plan unfolds...

So in the last few days, I have been living out the 'plan' that I spent days in Byron worrying about and figuring out. And I must say, I'm kind of good at planning! Everything is going completely fine, I feel good about where I am with the project, and the different housing situations have also worked out pretty perfectly. I am finding that being satisfied with my experience here and what I'm doing comes so much more naturally when I am planning out my life and days and figuring things out myself, instead of being a sheep in the group and following our director around.

Tuesday morning I took a bus from Byron to Brisbane, and the ride took 4 hours instead of the usual 2 because I didn't realize we'd be taking the scenic route and stopping at literally every town along the coast. I missed my train to Eudlo, and lugging around my bags, figured out I could take a train to a town called Caboolture and switch to a bus to Eudlo. So that all was fine, but the bags....ohhh the bags...

I was going to Eudlo to stay with Sonya, my adviser for this Transition project I am trying to work on. It was pretty brilliant to go to her on the first days of the project, because she gave me books to read, movies to watch, people to talk to, and I left feeling a lot better about where I'm going, and that I'm doing my best, and that it will probably be fine. This is a picture to the left of Sonya's permaculture garden in herbackyard- she grows most of her own food in it.

Thursday morning she dropped me off at the Nambour train station and I went back to Brisbane, where I am now. I am staying with Brian, a kid from the program, in a house with three Queensland Uni students. They are very
nice people, and their house is beautiful, and I am lucky things have continued to work out so nicely. Now, I am sitting at the Queensland State Library, with a big table, a quiet room, lots of Asians on computers, and fast wireless-- these days, it is not too far off from living the dream.

I will hang around Brisbane organizing life until Sunday morning, when I take the train down to Sydney for that 10 day adventure. I am pretty excited to do touristy things, see the opera house, things like that, and get a good chunk of my project done. I still don't know exaaaaaactly where I'll be staying, but I must remember that it has worked out pretty nicely until now, so that could keep happening!

It is crazy to think that the semester is wrapping up at home, and I have 5 weeks left on the whole program, 2 weeks in New Zealand, and then I'm coming home! Very exciting, but until then, I will just continue playing out my plan, and seeing where that takes me. Talk to everyone soon! And for a few more pictures: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2075861&id=9803563&l=3eacdbd2e8

No comments:

Post a Comment